Wednesday, May 9, 2012

fuzzy and incomplete

Hair loss with chemo is unpredictable.
Not to mention, it's different for everyone, like most things with chemo.
Most of you saw how quickly my hair left my head, once it started. But what you may not know is that I never lost all of it. Some of it was just too stubborn to leave. Or maybe, somehow, the body knows just how much hair it can sustain, and that's how much it leaves. Whatever the reason, I still have hair on my head.

Not enough that I'd want to go out bare-headed.

No

 Just enough that it's comical.
It's all fuzzy. And usually, it sticks straight up.

At this point, shaving it off again would just be silly.

Also, while I hope I've been clever enough with the make-up that most of you wouldn't have noticed? I've lost a fair amount of hair from my right eyebrow.
And a few lashes as well.

I color it in, and mostly you can't tell. But it's a bit sparse. The left one is okay. What's that about?

Sparse just about sums up what hair there is on my body. Sparse, and also fine. What there is is nearly invisible. Mostly. (The upside to this? I used to have a few hairs on my chin, which I was obliged to pluck from time to time. Haven't seen any in months.)

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I'd shave my legs and underarms. Now I'm wishing I hadn't, because what's growing back in seems darker and courser. What was there was only visible if you got really close to me. Will I never learn?

Lastly, for the curious, even the remaining "canopy" has thinned to just a sprinkling of hair. I feel all exposed and naked. Even when I'm dressed. And some people, apparently, do this deliberately? Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment