Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fun with(out) hair

Last week, there were a few days when I just couldn't stand the thought of a wig on my head, even if I did have to go to work. So I went with scarves for two days:

It was interesting, matching my outfits to the chosen scarf of the day, and then accessorizing to play it up. (Yes, you do see some "hair" with the pink one. It's a fake-hair scrunchy. I like it.)
Lots of big, flashy jewelry seems to go with with scarves. And it's been fun, learning how to twist and tie these things. More fun than I thought it would be, actually.

Over the weekend, I went back to wigs. And then yesterday, though I'd been wearing the blonde for work, I switched to the short brunette. (No picture - nothing fancy about it, though I did get lots of comments and compliments on it - even from my pharmacist. Is it bad that my pharmacist knows me?)
I just have to tell you, as much as this one looks like me, and is super-cute and all, it's a lesser-quality wig when compared with the blonde, and it itches a fair bit more. So I'm usually not inclined to put this one on, unless the look demands it.

Today, I felt it demanded it:

The last time I had this much fun with hair and hair accessories, it was the 80's! I used to wear hats, scarves, head-wraps, big fluffy bows...you name it. But then I either got busy, or the stuff went out of fashion, or I just got a little shy about being flamboyant. In any case, I stopped.

Not sure I'll give it up once I get my hair back again, though. Scarves and head-wraps and hats are awesome! And clearly back in style, as I only just recently bought the two larger scarves shown above. I have to agree with my friend Stacy (who went through this last year), I kinda feel sorry for those of you that aren't bald. You may never get the chance to try out all the fun wigs and scarves and hats out there. You're stuck with the hair on your head, bad hair days, and having to wash it and style it all the time. I just put mine on like a hat. Easy.

Just goes to show you: every cloud has a silver lining. Even breast cancer.

1 comment:

  1. I like the scarves--you look rather exotic. The one with you dressed in black is my favorite. Different wigs would be interesting. You have a lovely shaped head, so bald works too. I was wondering if there were sites for cancer patients to buy wigs, scarves, hats...and quick search uncovered that there are (example: http://www.headcovers.com/). I'm glad you found a silver lining and your flamboyant self again.
    When I was going through an exercise program in the cardiac unit, I learned that those who could joke and find fun, stuck with the program and got through it.

    Patricia S.

    ReplyDelete