Thursday, February 23, 2012

2nd chemo

My older boy came to sit with me this time. He wasn't ready when it was time to go, so I had to just give him directions on how to get there. He was there a while before he found me - I'm not right as a blonde, in his head. Incognito just by changing my hair.

Less of the floaty feeling from the Benadryl this time. Either I needed some of it for my sinuses, or I'm used to it.

I mostly knitted while the meds dripped slowly in. My boy read a few short stories he'd downloaded onto my Kindle. Turns out, it wasn't just me having wi-fi issues last time. The nurses said it's been broken for a few weeks. They called their IT people to ask about it, but it's not fixed yet. I hope it works next time, so I can at least compose a blog post while I'm there, and capture what I'm feeling at the moment. I'm glad my phone allows me to facebook if I want to.

This time, when I'm done, the bone/joint pain starts in right away, and I'm already uncomfortable just driving home. I take Claritin and Advil as soon as I get home, which seems to do the trick, thank heavens. I have work to do, at the office, before the fatigue sets in.

I told my onco about how the nausea meds gave me a headache, and he called in something else for me, in case I do need it. It may make me drowsy, but, that's much better than a headache. Currently, I'm fine. No discomfort as I write this. That's a blessing. I should sleep well tonight. Last night, the steroids kept me up past 2am. Oddly, I was fully awake at 7:30 when my alarm went off.

I think I'm going to try taking the steroid doses further apart on Friday. The overlap makes me tense and too jittery. My right shoulder wouldn't relax until well after 6pm yesterday, and it was very painful, knotted. Enough so that I couldn't work at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time. I don't need that, and I'm sure I'll get enough sleep once the fatigue sets in Saturday to make up for any sleep I miss Friday.

We talked about my side-effects from last time. How I'm fatigued, like I have the flu, but also hungry, all the time. He said that's new - he's not heard of it being that way for anyone else before. Most feel their appetite wane for the first couple days, and then it comes back. Leave it to me to be different.

He complimented my hair. Said I was positively glowing. Looked at least 20 years younger.

I'm telling you, ladies, if you ever have to go through this, do yourself a favor, and get at least one wig you LOVE! Spend the extra money to get a good one. It's worth it. Have fun with it! I've got lots of pretty scarves and hats, and I've yet to wear them outside the house. I just love my new hair so much, and it's comfortable on, so, I keep wearing it. Best thing I've done for myself so far.

That's 2 down, only 4 more treatments to go. One-third done. I can do this.

(didn't get any funny taste in my mouth this treatment. wonder why?)

(addendum: My port was stubborn this time. They had to flush it a few times before it would let them draw blood. I really hope it keeps working like it should. I don't want an IV in my arm - it impairs my ability to knit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment