Monday, February 13, 2012

day by day

I'm told I should really start to lose my hair around day 17, which will be this coming Saturday. In the meantime, here are some changes I have noted (after the days of fatigue) since that first dose of chemo:

Day 7/8 I notice my face looks sallow, and possibly a bit jowly. I wear blush and excessive amounts of powder to try to maintain a normal appearance. I hope it's not permanent. I have the sort of complexion that has allowed me to wear little-to-no make-up, even in my 40's, and still look fairly pretty. I'm admittedly a tad vain about this.

Day 9 I start to notice a change in the texture of my hair. At first, it seemed to get a bit glossier, softer, directly after chemo. But now it feels rough, dry. And it seems not to retain as much conditioner when I wash it. This makes no sense, as hair is basically dead anyway. However, I do know that my hair tends to be glossier when I've been consuming more protein and drinking plenty of water, so, maybe it's not that weird. (Note to self: drink more water. And maybe have a steak for dinner.)

Day 12 I think I'm starting to see more hair in the hair-catcher in the drain after my shower. Being realistic about it, I have noticed that the amount of hair fluctuated somewhat in sync with my monthly cycle, so possibly, this means nothing. But the paranoia is starting to get to me. The suspense of "when will I lose my hair?" could possibly make my hair fall out from stress. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment