Monday, February 20, 2012

changeable

Saturday, I wore the blonde, and I really liked it. A lot.

Sunday, because it was a special occasion for Twin1, I put on the short brunette, so he could see how that looked as well, and let him choose which one I would wear to church.

I'd tweaked it a bit, played with it until it looked cute to me, so I wasn't hating the brunette. I just really love the blonde.

He chose the brunette.

Both boys say they don't recognize me right off in the blonde. And the short brunette, it looks sort of like the haircut I got in Paris, my second trip to Europe. So it's more familiar.

All through church, people kept coming up to me, telling me how cute my new haircut was. Mostly, I smiled and thanked them. I do like it, and the boys are right, it looks like me.

Occasionally, someone would ask when/where I'd gotten my haircut, and then I'd confess that it's a wig. It was only after church that I realized I could have just said I'd had mom cut my hair Saturday night, because that's when we'd buzzed off what little remained. (More on that later.) But I didn't really want to go into that with anyone and everyone - cancer is a difficult thing to take in when you didn't already know. Those that did know, they were every bit as complimentary.

Thing is, now I'm wondering, will I have to wear the brunette to church every Sunday? I don't intend to wear the same wig to work every day. I've got that other, long, brunette wig coming soon, and I know I'll want to wear it. Not to mention, there will be days I don't want to wear a wig. I already tend to walk around the house with no head covering.

Is it too disturbing to others, this changeable hair?

3 comments:

  1. Wow Laurel, what a journey! The dark wig does look A LOT like your Parisian hair cut. It looks good on you but I won't lie I REALLY love the way the blond one looks on you and I can't wait to see the longer dark wig too.

    My friend that went through chemo last year has just worn hats and changed them, so why not change your wigs. I guess the hardest part is having to explain it to people who don't already know what is going on. Hugs- Glora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you really want to get it over with and make it public knowledge in the ward you wear a scarf over your shaved head next Sunday- let people ask each other what's going on and then the news will be out and people may ask you directly but it'll still be known faster.

      Delete
    2. If I make it to church this Sunday (fatigue from chemo might be too much), I'd only be sneaking in for Sacrament and leaving early. Last time I was already exhausted by the time I got there.
      Plus, the ward has decided to announce, with permission, names and conditions of those having health problems, so that the ward can all fast for them, if they choose.
      So, after this Sunday, anyone that didn't know yet, they'll know, if they pay attention.
      Besides, putting on a wig is so much easier than tying on a scarf.

      Delete