Tuesday, February 7, 2012

3rd & 4th day

Sunday, it really started to hit me. I felt okay when I got up, and church wasn't until 1pm, so I figured I'd at least try, even if I only stayed for Sacrament Meeting (which was about all I figured I'd have energy for, realistically). By the time we'd arrived (and we drive, unlike many LDS in Utah, because our neighborhood just doesn't have a chapel nearby) I was already done. I knew I could sit through the rest of the meeting, but then, I'd have to go.
Because we were late, we had to wait until they'd finished serving the sacrament before we could go in. Seating is iffy when you're late, in my ward, so we made a bee-line for the recently vacated deacons benches, up front. I don't remember much more of the meeting, and I certainly couldn't move very quickly, but I was glad I'd made the effort to be there. I remember singing the hymns in a very lack-luster way.
After Sacrament, I searched out a friend to give her a baby gift, and got a quick hug and adored her little baby and felt that soft, sweet cheek. Babies are restorative. A few more quick conversations, and I was on my way home. (I should point out, if this had been a weekday, instead of Super-Bowl Sunday, I might not have been wise to brave the roads on my own, as tired as I was. But there was basically nobody out there, so I was fine.)
Once home, I foraged in the freezer for frozen fruit for a smoothie (the cravings quickly become obsessions, hungry as I am, all the time), and came up with only raspberries. (Okay, there was a baggie of cut up cantaloupe of uncertain vintage, but that seemed not the thing. In fact, I'm sure I should toss that.) My wheat germ had long since gone off (tossed that), so instead I threw in some cream and added a little sweetened cream of coconut. That was one serious smoothie. I need fatter straws.
Exhausted, I lay down on the window seat (sunshine is good for me) and tried to sleep until the boys got home. Sleep was not having me, though, so I ended up watching something on Netflix via my Kindle Fire. My own personal little home theater, propped up on my belly.
Later on, I think I may have dozed for a while, but it still wasn't proper sleep. Not restful, anyway.
I called mom and asked if she'd bring me some senecot (yup, that's me, still backed up - can't relax in that condition), and made myself some soup for dinner. Hot liquids are supposed to help.

What it feels like: mainly, it's like I've got flu, but, not the nausea, just the aching body and need for sleep. Except, add to that, I'm HUNGRY all the time (which, when actually ill, I'm not), and it's sort of complicated. Also, possibly unrelated, I'm congested. My head - I can feel all the sinus cavities all over my head, aching, not draining. Sort of felt good to massage my head when I washed my hair earlier, but, sort of not. Tried some heat to alleviate the sinus pressure, which helped some, I think.

When I talk to the nurse, next day, she says I can take a decongestant, as long as I make sure I don't have a fever first. Any sign of infection is something to worry about, as my immune system is not going to be behaving normally for a while. After checking my temperature, I opt for some DayQuil and Tylenol - I still have a headache - and try to relax so I can get more sleep.

Monday is a blur. Tired, sleeping some, aching. I asked mom to bring me some OJ so I can make some Russian Tea. She comes over just before my sweet friend from the ward brings me dinner. I managed to be social for a bit, but it's like I'm in a fog. Not myself.

The dinner is delicious: herb baked chicken, perfect baked potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower & carrots, and a lovely salad - the kind with raspberries and mandarin oranges and almonds. Yummy. I'm so hungry, but about halfway through the chicken, I'm full, so I have my boy put it away for later. I had managed to eat the salad, veggies, and most of the baked potato. All of it so good.

At least I can still taste things. Some things, just a few, taste different. Some sweets are too sweet. And I'm oh-so-tired of water, plain water. So important to stay hydrated, but, so boring. I make peppermint tea, or some other herb tea, when I think I can stand something hot. (Just not a heat person in general - I like being cool.) Or I do some horchata mix, or some of those little Crystal Light packets you add to your water bottle. That helps.

Best of all is super-cold, icy water from (for some odd reason) my bathroom tap (kitchen tap isn't quite the same - go figure). Or having some pebble ice. Problem with pebble ice is, it melts. So that's hardly practical. But I get me some anyway, and make my boy run back and forth to the freezer filling my glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment