Saturday, January 7, 2012

Biopsy

Mon, Jan 2, I went in for my mammogram. For some reason, the gal that called me for pre-registration told me to go in really early. It seems that all the patients that day were either late or early - some mix-up or other. They worked me in, since I was there.

This wasn't my first mammogram. I have a family history of breast cancer, from my mothers family, so I'd been there before. When I was younger, they'd make me wait, right there in the waiting area, for them to process the films. I found this annoying, as I was only there as a matter of routine, and, I'm sorry to say, this made me less eager to schedule another after I'd been a few times. So I'd let it go for a while. There is no excuse for that, but, that's what happened.

At any rate, I knew they'd want to add a biopsy to my day as soon as they'd seen the lump (which I'd come to think of as a large mass), and of course, the minute she started the ultrasound, she tells me the doctor is already on his way to see this himself. When he arrived, he asked if I wanted to do the needle biopsy now, or the next day. I thought now would be good.

Local anesthetic, because this lump is near the surface, and in an area not usually covered by my bra. In fact, it's an area not always covered by clothing - the upper left area of my right breast. The eventual scars, I'm thinking, may not be easy to hide.

The doctor cleans me with something dyed blue, so they know for sure where they've cleaned, and injects two different things to numb the area. I have a high pain tolerance, so this just stings a little. He offers to show me the biopsy needle, but I am content just to hear what it's going to sound like as it punches a hole and takes a sample. I'm not bothered by needles, but, what I can see out of the corner of my eye is enough to satisfy my curiosity. He makes a small incision through which to insert the needle, then takes three samples, guided by the ultrasound, from three slightly different areas of the lump, and they tape me up.

I go directly back into the mammogram room for a follow-up on the affected breast. They've place a marker in it while they were in there, so they can be sure they are looking at the right thing, and they need more pictures of that. I nearly faint, twice, though I can't think why, as I'm not generally a fainter. I'm not sure if it was the process itself, or the reality of the situation. In any case, I don't faint, she just puts me in the recliner (provided in these rooms for this very purpose) until I feel better, and that's it. I'm held together with strips of steri-tape, my chest is dyed blue, and I'm done. My doctor should have the results in three days (for some reason, at the time, I heard them say three weeks, but, I didn't argue with that. I've got a life to live, and if it takes that long, then why worry?).

I walk home (I live about a block away, so walking made sense to me), calling my mom as I do so, to let her know that they did do a biopsy, and then I text my someone and the one other friend I'd told to let them know as well. My girlfriend immediately asks what I need, should she come over, would I like something to eat (my appetite has been off for weeks - due more to that certain someone than anything else, in my opinion) or would I like to rest? I decide that yes, I'd like company, and food, and so we watched a movie while I rested. My someone didn't respond for almost 2 hours. He's having his own troubles, and, like I said, this is not yet a relationship - we're barely starting up a friendship again after 9 years apart - so, I don't want to be too harsh, but, it makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment