Monday, January 30, 2012

catching up

How to cover the past week? When nothing much is happening, it becomes difficult to write.

The steri-strips (holding me together instead of stitches, if you recall) came off last Monday. Incisions healing okay, just a bit red, mostly. There was some localized swelling most of the week, on and off, but nothing serious. Got some stretching exercises from Dr T, and for the most part, I seem to have a fairly normal range of movement in my right arm again.
It's funny, one of the stretches has you facing a wall, standing just a step back, and, with your hands together, stretched above your head, you lean into the wall. The goal is to have your armpits touch the wall. Think about that for a second. For me, at least, there is a slight obstacle to that part of me meeting up with a wall from that position. Two of them, in fact. As it should be. As it would be with anyone in my condition, now. Even if I'd had a mastectomy, they generally insert skin expanders, if you are going to be rebuilt, which most women are. Made me wonder just how long ago the article was written.
Now, if I do a similar stretch, with just the affected arm, from the side, there's a good chance my armpit can touch the wall. In fact, that stretch seems to be quite beneficial. People are funny.

Showering is still a bit tiring/challenging, what with me stubbornly insisting on doing all the usual stuff I generally did with my right hand, with my right hand, still. I personally think it's good for me, pushing my body to get back to normal. As long as I don't overdo. For instance, perhaps I should have a bit of a stretch, first thing, before I try reaching well above my head to grab something off a high shelf. Just saying.

I did get through almost the whole week last week, working half-days. I took Thursday off, as I had three appointments that day: a Dr appt for Twin1, followed closely by my dentist appt, and then later, in the afternoon, a followup surgical appt with Dr T.
Can't remember the last time I went in for a dental checkup and cleaning and was told just to come back in six months. That was nice. Also nice, about going in to the dentist, was hearing all the wonderful things they had to say about my boy. He'd been visiting their office over the course of several months, getting his teeth all fixed up, in preparation for his mission, so the whole office had been getting to know him. They were all so complimentary and sweet about him! The very sort of interaction one wants, when one meets up with adults who have met ones' children.

The followup visit was fine. Basically just looked at how the incisions were healing, went over the pathology, and had her nurse set up appointments for me with an oncologist and radiology. She didn't say as much, but I got the impression someone should have already gotten me in with an oncologist before the surgery. Which, in truth, I had wondered about, but hadn't asked. Don't know why, exactly. Just hadn't pursued the problem.

Will see the oncologist Tuesday afternoon. From what I've heard, the man is good, but none of them seem to like him much. "Smug" was one word I heard used to describe him. I've decided to give him a chance, at least meet him. But I don't generally like doctors who think they know everything. I like a more humble approach.

So, chemotherapy appears to be what's next. I guess I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment