Tuesday, January 10, 2012

meeting the surgeon

Mom came with me, to be another set of eyes and ears, and to drive, in case it was too much for me emotionally.
We had to wait ages, and I was glad I had my knitting with me. I started this pair of socks the day I had the biopsy, and before I was done at the surgeon, I was close to starting the heels. Not their fault, the wait. They'd had an older lady in one of the rooms, filling out forms, and she needed to be there. Once she was done, we were in and everything went quickly.

Dr T comes highly recommended. She's thorough (very much), and personal, and we both liked her. I personally know one other gal who was under her care, for the same thing, recently, and she would recommend Dr T in a heartbeat.

First, her assistant took down some vitals and did a cursory exam. Then Dr T came in, talked with me, examined me, thoroughly, and also took a look at the mass with an ultrasound. The mass is about and inch in diameter, irregular, and close to the surface. She called it medium-sized. My lymph nodes aren't showing any signs of swelling, tenderness, or anything else, so we don't expect to find any cancer there, which is good.

We then went over the various options, and she told me what she recommended (lumpectomy), and that, due to the grade of cancer, there would be radiation and chemo to follow. The types of chemo are still to be determined, as we're still waiting on the receptor results.

She set up an MRI for Tuesday, the 10th, and another mammogram to take another look at some small calcified spots on the left breast.
I decided to do the genetic test, BRCA, as we do have a family history of breast cancer, on my mothers side, and other cancers in both sides. Results won't be back for a few weeks. Basically that will just tell us if we are actually predisposed to cancer, or if this just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment