Friday, January 13, 2012

Pre-Op

Up obscenely early. Realized I forgot the conditioner, curly hair unhappy with that. Used aloe instead. Last shower I would be having for 3-4 days, and it was unsatisfactory.

Check in on time, but they accidentally have me change into my gown and paper shorts before sending me to nuclear for my dye injection, so they had to wheel me down there and create extra paperwork for themselves. In nuclear she tells me that they won't be numbing me first; they feel one needle stick is better than two, and it's such a small amount ... And by the way, we will be sticking that needle into the most sensitive area of the breast, twice. (Clearly this was thought up by a man.) Also, it may sting. (ummm, yeah. It does)

Back to pre-op, and after various bits of business, they brought my family back. All of them: mom, the twins, B, and my 9 year old grand-niece, dressed in a preponderance of pinks. Dr. T is still in with her first surgery of the morning, but we were on schedule.

When Dr. T comes in, she meets the family, and explains she will be adding a blue dye to aid in tracking which lymph nodes to remove, says this likely will make me look a little pale and blueish, and later, as it exits my system, it will make said exiting fluid greenish. She goes over the MRI and extra mammogram results again to make sure I understood, and then goes over the schedule and timing of the surgery: 2.5 hours total, they do the port first which takes the bulk of the time, then they will remove the mass and 2-4 lymph nodes, test them, and if the tests are negative, we are done and I get to wake up and go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment